Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Just a Chip Off the Old Block

How many of you have heard the phrase "chip off the old block?"  Do you actually know what it means?  When I looked it up online I found that it meant a person who resembles his father or acts the same as his father.  This seemed rather funny to me because I am acting as my father practicing my golf game so much.  I guess if the shoe fits, I should wear it :).

This week I focused a little on my short game.  I thought this meant I could practice both chipping and putting.  Wrong!  It took me a while to get the hang of chipping so we'll save putting for a later entry.  The good thing about chipping is you can really practice anywhere.  Most golf courses have a putting and chipping practice green that you can use.  The best part is it's free to practice there. Another great place you can easily practice is in your own backyard.  You could even grab a bucket and make it fun to try to get it into the target.  When I practiced, I used a 56 degree wedge otherwise known as a sand wedge.  Here are a few things I learned to help me when chipping...

1.  Always keep an open stance towards the pin/hole.  What I mean by this is that you will have your feet slightly facing outward.  It helps to keep your knees bent, your weight on your front foot and a closer distance to the ball.  I should probably have an even closer stance than I do below.



2.  NEVER bend your wrists! This was a BIG problem for me as I kept flicking them.  One solution to help is to roll over your lower hand, in my case it was my right, to help lock my left wrist.  Hopefully you can see what I mean in the picture below.  I found this link helpful to give me a few more pointers. 



3.  Play the ball as it lies.  You never know where your ball may land when actually playing so you should practice from several locations and distances.  You should also include shots from both short grass and tall grass.  I practiced from all sides of the pins aiming for different ones on different shots.   

Here is an example of how I spread out the balls.
 
Hopefully these few tips that I learned will improve your short game too!  As I stated earlier, I will be focusing on putting for my next entry.  Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for drills to get me started? 

9 comments:

  1. I give you credit Julie. I was totally surrounded by golf people too. My husband and father-in-law love golf. My brother and dad like it. My neighbors love it. Yet here I am, embarrased to now actually know what par, birdie, eagle, and bogey ACTUALLY stand for! I always said watching golf was like watching paint dry. So good for you, going out there and actually learning the game of golf!!! I just couldn't do it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking we need to plan a golf date!! I would love to go out with you. You can teach me a thing or two. I haven't been out all year :( Keep posting !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO admire your patience and persistence with this sport! It's incredible that there are so many little details to remember. I really don't know how people can focus enough to "check off" all those correctly positioned stances and them put them all together. It's hard! But it looks like you are doing a great job! I was thinking of you tonight because my husband went to play nine holes and I decided to go walk along with him and we brought the kids too. So I was pushing a stoller all around the course. It was a little crazy but fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! I bet that was good exercise too walking the course while pushing a stroller.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed how you started with a fun little fact...it brought me into your posting right away. Also, thanks for the tips! I need help on ALL of my game but I'll start with the short game when I go play 18 (I usually only go once a year) sometime this summer. Your pictures are vivid and clearly match what you are describing in your text. Keep the posts coming...I'm going to need them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,

    My husband, Dennis, says when you are chipping, remember to:

    1-keep your head down, all the way through out your swing. Only look when you have completed the rotation of your swing. This is true for every swing, every club. But more importantly when chipping.

    "Drive for show, chip for dough."

    Good luck putting!

    Tip: Imagine the hole two feet beyond where it actually is at. This will give you a higher percentage of sinking the ball rather than leaving it short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Dennis thanks for the tips!!! I love the little saying you posted ha-ha.

      Delete