Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Sparked Interest in the U.S. Open

On Wednesday June 12th I along with many of my close friends received this email from another close friend...

Good Afternoon All,

Believe it or not, it is that time again. The second major championship of 2013, and with that comes our second Major pick em. The 2013 U.S. Open @ Merion – team challenge. #nogirlsallowedbecausetheywin.

For those involved in the epic Masters pick em earlier this year, the rules will be the same. For those new folks fortunate enough to be joining this fantastic collection of humans (or for those veterans who need a refresher)….. see below

Pick your top 4 golfers, lowest cumulative score at the end of the 2013 U.S. Open wins the pot. If one (or more) of the four players you choose fails to make the cut... then you fail to make the cut... and you're OUT.Bye bye, goodnight Irene, ain’t nobody got time fo that.
First tee time is 6:45am (est) tomorrow, June 13th... (that's 5:45am for all you central folks). Picks that come in after the first group has teed off will not be accepted. As soon as the first players tee off, I will send out the spreadsheet with everyone’s picks.

Let me know if there are any questions, concerns or comments, and as always I wish you all the best of luck!
I was excited to be included but my first thought to this email was... what actually is the U.S. Open?  Given, I know it is a big golf tournament and Alex forced me to watch the Masters previously but I wasn't sure what the differences might be or who gets to play in this tournament.  I wanted to participate but how was I going to pick my top four golfers?  Well fortunately I happened to be at my brother, Gary's, when I got this email and let's just say... he had some input.  I chose Adam Scott (who I saw win the Masters), Tiger Woods (who everyone knows, even non-golfers like me), Matt Kuchar and Phil Mickelson (my dad's favorite golfer).  Now my brother gave me some good advice because Mickelson did quite well but I was out of the pool when Kuchar didn't make the cut to play on.  I still enjoyed watching parts of the U.S. Open when I could so I was glad this pool could spark my interest in viewing it.  I learned about several popular golfers I had never heard of including, Justin Rose, the man who won it all!



3 comments:

  1. Way to go on your first "Major pick 'em!" I was hoping Phil would win too. I've found that watching golf (something my husband does every single Thursday-Sunday) is not all that bad. First of all there's Adam Scott (he's a looker)...and another one of my personal favorites is Greame McDowell. You should check him out!

    But in all seriousness I think it's fun to make picks and follow along. Sometimes I even make better picks than my husband. You should check out Fantasy Golf at pgatour.com where you can make picks for every tournament.

    So have you gotten out on the course yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree on your comment about Adam Scott :). Thanks for the tip on Greame McDowell. I checked him out and saw he's from Ireland! My great grandmother was from there. He also won the Open in 2010 so I'm assuming he's pretty good. I've been out on the course about three times and to the driving range twice. I'm starting to better understand what to do but I find the more I think about all the million things I need to do the worse I play ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie! Like you, I know nothing about golf except what I hear from my husband, who is an avid golfer. I read your blog to him and he agreed with your picks. I, too, would have no idea who to choose and would probably stick to a similar method. Next year the other "Pick em" participants better watch out!

    ReplyDelete